Four graduate students and three undergraduate students from Ball State University attended and presented at the East Central Writing Center Association along with Writing Center Director Dr. Grutsch McKinney in Dowagiac, Michigan this March.
Attending writing center conferences give tutors a chance to learn from other writing center professionals about writing center work and research as well as the opportunity to contribute to writing center scholarship themselves.
Presentations by Ball State scholars:
- “Relinquishing Gender Binaries for Progressive Writing Centers” Anthony Salazar
- “Body Language in the Writing Center: The Abandoned Rhetoric” Rachel Beatty
- “More than Just a Personal Editor: A Case Study of Cross-Disciplinary Writing Consultation” Kathryn Hampshire
- “Fostering Engagement and Creativity through the Concept of ‘Play’ in the Writing Center” Amory Orchard
- “Navigating Linguistic Hegemony in the Writing Center: The Mythos of Standard American English and its Implications” Rachel Wright-Marquez & Noah Patterson
- “Writing Center Leadership 101” Jackie Grutsch McKinney